Four months’ porridge for 20-minute Facebook riot page
A 21-year-old man has been sentenced to four months in jail for a brief riot-supporting post on Facebook.
David Glyn Jones, Bangor, posted “Let’s start Bangor riots”, then removed it 20 minutes later. But the post was seen by a woman who used to work with Jones and she reported it to the police, the Beeb reports.
His solicitor told the court his client did not expect his words to be taken seriously.
Reactions to such posts have varied wildly around the country – some forces have chosen to give posters a stern talking to or told people to write letters of apology, while others have pushed for custodial sentences.
The non-organiser of the world’s crappest flashmob got four years for posting an event invitation to “Smash dwn in Northwich Lootin”. He is appealing his sentence and there was no rioting in Northwich.
The Met has denied it told officers to keep all offenders in custody, despite a document handed to the Guardian that appeared to confirm this.
The Operation Withern Prisoner Processing Strategy explained to officers: “A strategic decision has been made by the MPS that in all cases an application will be made for remand in custody both at the police station and later at court.”
The Met denied this meant that everyone arrested should be held in custody. The force said 623 people had been bailed pending further enquiries, 125 were simply released and 17 were cautioned.
In total the Met arrested 1,881 people and 1,063 have so far been charged in connection with the disturbances.
Facebook, Twitter and RIM have been called to meet the Home Secretary on Thursday to discuss issues around the disturbances and Cameron’s apparent desire to get such networks switched off as he or subsequent Prime Ministers may order. ®